About the Friends
Our Mission: “The Friends of the
Sonoma Valley Library is a non-profit volunteer organization dedicated to
enhancing the presence of the library in the community and supporting its
efforts to bring the pleasure of reading, listening, and viewing to our
population through traditional media, technological innovations, and diverse
programs.” View our By-Laws.
Our Library: the Sonoma Valley Regional Library, located at 755 West Napa Street, serves the communities of Sonoma, Glen Ellen, Agua Caliente, Boyes Hot Springs, and El Verano. The library building is owned by the City of Sonoma, and is leased to Sonoma County which operates all libraries in the County. A local Library Advisory Board provides information and make recommendations to the County Library Commission and the Library Director on matters affecting library service based on input from the Sonoma Valley service area.
The Friends of the Sonoma Valley Library currently has about 600 members. Here's a brief overview with some examples of how we support our local library:
- We fund almost all of the library programs. Programs are varied. There are Saturday afternoon music programs, occasional craft programs, sometimes a magic program. There is a summer reading program, book clubs - we sponsor two, a Mystery Book Group and a Classical Reflections Book Club.
- We sponsor, support and subsidize a coffee, tea and hot chocolate service inside the library. We suggest a one dollar donation (not mandatory) for the beverage.
- We purchase books in Spanish. We purchase additional copies of popular books. We purchase periodicals that the County does not subscribe to.
- We funded (and partnered with the Library) for the El Dia de los Muertos festival, which was a huge success.
- We purchased special furniture for a dedicated Teen Room.
- We added outdoor tables with umbrellas so that the 24/7 wireless Internet can be used when the library is closed. This is a popular use.
The approximately $50,000 a year that we fund comes primarily from quarterly book sales of books donated
to the SVFOL. Learn more about our current activities by viewing the agendas and minutes of our volunteer Board
. All are welcome at Board meetings.
Interested in supporting our efforts? Considering joining the Friends of the Library and contributing books, funds, or most importantly - your time!